Monday, July 13, 2009

I shall pronounce a star

By Rubi Arana
Translation David Miller
[Adriana Herrera & David Miller]
It is an honor to be here and talking to you in Spanish language. With love and respect toward what the great North American Literature represents and the language of Shakespeare, but above the immense Whitman, father of powers.

I would tell you, I am not one poet but: since my early childhood I am with my scriptural habits removing it together with a personal style and a thought for the new Age of Aquarius. I am a woman of the passing of centuries, and my poetic order belongs to this. I have prepared all my life to for giving the best of me, which is a little, but the seeds are small.

I come from one of the poorest countries of the globe, Nicaragua, in the very center of America, but the hallucinating sun of Ruben Dario lives as the spring of sounds and gave the shine that I needed to the very Spain. If I name a poet from the land in which I born, it is because this great beings the parallel of that other great being that I named before: Whitman.

I could cite a universe of names, but I shall only pronounce a star: the Chilean star of Pablo Neruda, Nobel Prize 1971. I work in the Spanish idiom, Cervantes Language that is also the voice of the immigrant that does not have a voice. We are the other face of the coin. But it is the same coin.

Before the homage we have made a record upon the mantel, that of Michael Jackson: direct son of Terpsichore, inhabitant of the center of our hearts.

Thanks you very much.

Coral Gables, FL 6/30/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment